Saturday 30 March 2013

Work experience 25/03/2013

Hi folks. This week has been a busy one and here's the update:
I have just finished my last day of work experience with 2020 productions - a production company in edinburgh which does everything from video production to event management and organisation. Over the course of the week I took part in shadowing the editors, watching the general work flow of the company and working on my own personal project set by one of the editors.
Here is a breakdown of my week:

  • Day 1- I met the staff and was shown around the building. Once everything got settled down, I was shadowing in one of the edit suites and was impressed by the speed of the editors workflow when either editing in Final Cut Studio 7 or After Effects CS5.5. I was set a task of pitching, designing and creating a 30 animation which revealed the '2020 Productions Logo'. I would have any assistance I needed through the process and would be given feedback once the animation was complete. So I began drawing up potential ideas with a few paragraphs describing the look, technical challenges involved and how I would intend to make it. In the end I was happy with 3 ideas:
    • A computer interface 
    • An Idea being Communicated  
    • A Conveyor Belt Factory

      In the end I decided to use Idea #3 as I thought developing it would be a good challenge to create and would demonstrate my skills of After Effects and Adobe Illustrator.
  • Day 2 - I began researching searching methods of creating the animation: Expressions to create the robot arms on the conveyor belt, animating the cogs in a realistic way, camera movements and background music. For background music, I found that using a royalty free music service called Audio Network which allows students to use the music for a fee of £0.83, as long as the material is not sold and is distributed on a website such as Youtube, Vimeo etc. For the remainder of the day, I worked my way round the office meeting some of the people who work there and find out more about the workflow of 2020 Productions
  • Day 3 - At the start of the day, a portion of a promo video for a client needed to be filmed that morning, so I went along to see how they worked. The mini-shoot was fun and watching it be cut together was interesting as some of the shots they really liked on the shoot, ended up not being used at all. I began working with my project, creating all of my assets for animation in Illustrator.
  • Day 4 - I continued working on my project, getting feedback as I continued to build my scene in After Effects. I was advised on using Quicktime's Animation codec as it would produce a close to lossless video. 
  • Day 5 - I spent the entire day working to finish my project as I realised I left some of the project a little late so had to make up for the time. Although it was not needed to have the project finished, but I wanted to complete it in the time for my own purposes. In the end I managed to produce a finished render which was given feedback. The video was liked and I was asked to continue to work with it to see if I could build a better version and fix some technical issues etc.
Overall, I really enjoyed the work experience and will try to keep in contact with the company and gain more work experience with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment