Wednesday 3 April 2013

Quicktime - HDV

Hi folks.

Codecs are todays topic as its the first problem I have came across. When I started the post production process, I had footage from the first two days on a JVC hard drive which recorded to mpeg2 (m2t) and the third days footage on an SD card from a Panasonic which shot on AVCHD. When I ingested the m2t files into clipwrap, I rewrapped the files to quicktime under the HDV codec. This was all fine and well until I got to my home computer... once I imported the footage into premiere pro, the footage was dropping frames and rendering out red frames.

This problem turned into a nightmare as I found out that quicktime 10 (which is just a player now and no longer has any pro features) had dropped all their older codecs. So when I was researching, I found that the only way to solve this issue is to buy a decoder which would decode the HDV codec and allow me to reencode to something else. The software I found was XD decoder from Calibrated software. This useful tool cost me $89 but I suppose a needs must.

Now that I'm over this issue, I can prepare for the next one, hopefully the next one doesn't cost me anything...

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment